06 November 2012

Drunken Carrots

With Apple Juice


So, here's the thing: I really really REALLY hate cooked carrots. Like, I pick them out of canned soup, hate them. There is only one way I have ever truly liked them--and that is smothered in butter and nutmeg and cinnamon like my grandmother used to make them....and I've never been able to duplicate them. So yeah, I don't like cooked carrots....But these are absolutely DIVINE. Like, I made 2 full pounds of them for 2 people and there are no leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. LOL!


So...what you need:

2 pounds of baby carrots
1/2 cup (thawed) frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 cup rum--whatever, really, I used Bicardi Gold because I'm not a rum drinker and it was super cheap. LOL!

That's it, really. You could totally garnish with some fresh rosemary at the end, but really, no need.

Roast your carrots in a single layer on a baking tray at 400-425* for about 20 minutes, turning half way through. While your carrots are in the oven, mix together the orange juice, sugar and rum in a big bowl. Pull the carrots out and toss them with the other ingredients in the bowl to coat, and then put them back on the tray and back into the oven, tossing around to coat again every 5 minutes until the sauce is gooey and not runny.

And just to show you how good these carrots were....I saved some in the bowl to plate and snap a photo of after we ate....and my husband ate them....straight out of the bowl. *sigh*

Don't believe me?


You'll just have to trust me that they are awesome, and they look as amazing as they taste. Make them.



*****Variation******

Tonight I made these carrots again, but substituted apple juice concentrate, and added a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon. Again, pure bliss. I added a photo of the finished carrots from tonight's dinner. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment