06 March 2011

Pineapple Upside Down....Pork?



Not entirely sure what to call this. Kind of a cooking fail, but it tasted good so I thought I'd share it anyway. I started out thinking I'd make a BBQ pork cutlet with pineapple on top, and it went in a different direction entirely by the time I bought all the ingredients. haha! I suppose I'm just as scatter brained when I shop as I am most of the time! :)

I just realized I put margarine in my ingredients photo when I used vegetable oil instead, so ignore that. I also forgot the garlic....so, um, use your imagination and pretend there's a head of garlic in this photo, ok? Ok.



What you're looking at:

Boneless pork cutlets (you could totally use 8 cutlets with the same amount of other ingredients, or even use thick cut pork chops. This is what I had in my freezer, pork-wise, and I only needed 4 for dinner tonight.); Flour; your favorite grill seasoning. I'm in love with the one pictured, and use it in most things; ground cinnamon; Fresh ginger root; soy sauce; apple cider vinegar; ketchup; crushed pineapple in 100% juice; dark brown sugar; salt & pepper.

Not present for picture day: Vegetable oil & a head of garlic.

For some reason, I didn't include the ingredients for the rice I served this with. For the rice, you'll need jasmine rice, maraschino cherries (in a jar), and some chopped nuts (whatever you like....doesn't really matter. I used almonds).


So, I started out by heating a skillet over medium high heat, with a few tablespoons of vegetable oil. Mix a couple cups of flour with a good palmful of the grill seasoning and about a teaspoon of the cinnamon. Season the pork cutlets with salt and pepper, and then dredge them in the flour. Toss them in the pan and cook till they are good and golden brown (about a minute on each side). Pull them out and put them in a glass baking dish (I used a 9x9").


Mix about a cup of the dark brown sugar, a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a couple tablespoons of soy sauce, a good squirt of ketchup, an inch of freshly grated ginger root, and a good sized clove of garlic (minced finely) in a bowl till the sugar dissolves completely. Pour it over the pork cutlets, and flip them around to coat.

Then open a can of crushed pineapple (I suppose if you were super ambitious, you could use a fresh pineapple, but you'd probably need to add a bit of pineapple juice), and pour it evenly over the top of the pork cutlets and sauce.

Throw the pan in the oven at 350 degrees for about half an hour.



Meanwhile, make your rice. I used 1 1/3 cup rice, 2 cups water, and about 1/3 cup of the juice/syrup mixture from the jar of cherries in mine. Rethinking it, I might use all water instead of the juice/syrup next time. It tasted awesome, but the color was weird. haha! Chop up about 10-12 cherries. When the rice is finished cooking, mix in the cherries and about half a cup of chopped nuts.

Serve the pork chops over the rice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment